Traffic Controller Course
$440 (GST Exempt)
This Traffic Controller Course is suitable for people who wish to be able to use a stop/slow bat and to place/remove traffic control devices (such as bollards and signs) in accordance with a Traffic Management Plan in a work environment.
Wed 11/12 (2 Places Left)
Fri 20/12 (6 Places Left)
Tue 24/12 (7 Places Left)
- Use of stop/slow bats
- Planning and preparing to implement traffic management plans
- Setting out and monitoring traffic guidance schemes
- Closing down traffic guidance schemes
Additional Entry Requirements:
- Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Applicants must satisfy the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements as outlined below
- Experience working on sites which utilise traffic control is preferred but not mandatory
Why Complete this Traffic Controller Course?
Section 21 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
This Road Management Act 2004 Compliance Code states, “Personnel involved in traffic management and traffic control should, where applicable, possess a certificate, issued by a Registered Training Organisation.”
This is reinforced by VicRoads Guidelines for Traffic Controllers – “Traffic controllers are to be appropriately trained in their duties and certified as competent. All accredited traffic controllers at worksites on roads in Victoria should comply with the guidelines… All traffic controllers are required to obtain a valid Statement of Attainment in Traffic Control using Stop/Slow Bat and should attend an appropriate refresher course every three years.”
Language, Literacy, and Numeracy Requirements
In order to enrol into this Traffic Controller Course, Trainees need to be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills required to work by themselves and as part of a team with some accountability of their own work areas in defined and routine tasks. Applicants must have sufficient reading, writing, verbal communication and numeracy skills in English to enable them to safely complete tasks relating to traffic control.
- Read and correctly interpret safe work method statements, Traffic Management Plans and Traffic Guidance Schemes (diagrammatical representations of traffic control device setups with measurements)
- Complete required documentation relevant to traffic control, including completing risk assessments
- Interpret and apply Traffic Guidance Schemes
- Understand and perform basic calculations with various units of measurement
- Speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- Communicate clearly via two-way radio
- Explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
Verbal assessments will not be conducted for this course
Individuals who are concerned that they may not have adequate reading, writing, numeracy and/or verbal communication skills are advised to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.
What is the Traffic Controller Course Outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment (Nationally Accredited) and Proof of Training Card.
Additional Course Information
How many trainees can attend the course?
- A maximum of 8 trainees are permitted
What should trainees wear?
- Trainees are required to wear safety shoes and hi-visibility clothing (WAM Training can provide a hi-visibility safety vest if required)
What should trainees bring?
- Trainees must bring a passport or an Australian driver’s licence
- Contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you do not have one of the forms of ID listed above
Do trainees need to study?
- Yes – All trainees will be forwarded the Course Handbook upon making a booking. WAM Training requires that all trainees study the Course Handbook prior to the commencement of face-to-face training
How is the assessment conducted?
- Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer test and a practical assessment involving the use of a stop-slow bat and implementation of a various traffic management plans and traffic control devices
- Verbal assessments will not be conducted for this course (please refer to the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements outlined above)
Please don’t hesitate to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you have any other questions.
- “This course is very informative. The content was applicable and updated.” – P. Howes, 20.12.18
- “Good mix of practical and theory. Course was on point and didn’t digress. I feel more confident in my abilities to perform traffic management.” – Sarah, 11.09.18
- “Very well presented and explained. Good practical and clear instructions. Informative and well presented.” – Le V, 30.08.18
- “Dave did an amazing job of bridging that gap as I had come from a retail background . I’m generally a shy person and was made to feel comfortable.” – Anonymous, 30.08.17
- “Very happy and I will take away knowledge and experience for the future for how to do traffic management. An eye opener, really good.” – Frank S, 10.07.17
- “Instructor was great. Very engaging. Made the content interesting. Clearly knows his stuff.” – Anonymous, 01.05.17