Factory 1, 2, & 3 73 Dohertys Road Laverton North, VIC 3026 1800 143 343

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’ve got a question that isn’t answered below, please don’t hesitate to call us on 1800 143 343.
Don’t forget to check out our Blog and Resources pages too!

Do you need to wear a harness in a scissor lift?

The EWPA (Inc.) suggests that safety harnesses are not required on scissor lifts unless a hazard assessment shows there is a risk of falling. Eg: Over-reaching. (Over-reaching is when the upper body goes beyond the handrails, and the centre of gravity moves from inside to outside the platform causing the operator to fall.)


All tasks involving the use of EWP’s should be planned and hazard identification must be carried out.

Manufacturers are not required to fit certified harness attachment points on scissor lifts, as per the build standard AS/NZS1418.10. This is a clear indication that providing the EWP is used and maintained as per the manufacturer’s recommendations, there is no requirement for a harness to be worn. The platform guard and hand rails are the primary source of fall protection for operators.


Do you need training to work at heights?

Under both state and federal health and safety legislation, training is required for all workers who expose themselves potential of a fall at work. Depending on the health and safety legislation your state has adopted, it is mandatory to have fall protection.

Before work commences, all locations and tasks that may involve the risk of a fall need to be identified. This includes access to the areas where tasks are to be performed. Each task needs to be examined to determine whether there is a risk of falling.

An employer’s primary duty is to eliminate the risk. If this is not reasonably practicable, the risk must be reduced to the minimum level possible, so far as is reasonably practicable. To do this, there is a preferred order (or hierarchy) of risk-control measures, ranging from the most effective to the least effective, that must be applied.

In relation to the prevention of falls of more than two metres on construction sites, the Victorian Regulations require employers to:

  • identify all tasks that involve a fall hazard of more than two metres

Other states have the same laws, however different heights can apply.


What is a 'Yellow Card'?

The EWPA Yellow Card is the predominant industry accepted proof of training for Elevated Work Platforms, recognised nationally by all major manufacturers, suppliers and users of EWPs.

The Yellow Card training meets the two key objectives of the OH&S Acts, being:

  • It confirms that the operators of specific types of EWPs have been trained in the safe use of a type/s of elvated work platforms work platform.
  • The supplier, employer and user all have documentary evidence that the required ‘duty of care’ has been met or exceeded.

When do you need a qualified electrical spotter?

Do you undertake work in the vicinity of above ground electrical Assets, such as powerlines, or Under Ground assets such as water / sewerage pipes, electrical/telecommunications cables or gas pipelines?

If your answer to this question is yes and you intend to use large vehicles, plant and or equipment including scaffolds in the vicinity of above or below ground assets then you must have an electrical spotter on site to supervise, instruct and control the working environment.

See how the “No Go Zone Rules” affect your working requirements by clicking here.

How long does a Worksafe High Risk Work Licence last?
Licence is valid for 5 years from date of issue.

Getting the application form
You can get the application form at participating Australia Post outlets and from the WorkSafe Advisory Service by calling 1800 136 089, or 9641 1444, or email info@worksafe.vic.gov.au.

Do you need refresher training on mobile plant and equipment?

Refresher training by definition is a Short-term course aimed at recall and reinforcement of previously acquired knowledge and skills.

State and Federal Health and Safety laws clearly state that:

  • Employers must provide information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure the health and safety of employees at work.

Therefore in order to fulfil your health and safety obligations ensuring the knowledge and skills of employees are remain consistent with industry expectations, is a must.

How often?

Ultimately unless there is a specific industry expectation, such as annual confined space refresher training, the decision is up to each employer, who must identify if a lack of training poses a potential risk to the health and safety of employees, he must act.

Current industry expectations would place most refresher training occurring in the range of 1 to 3 years with some electing longer.

Do you need a licence for a scissor lift?

You do need proof of training to operate any piece of plant as per state and federal OHS or WHS regulations.

However you don’t need a licence for a scissor lift as scissor lifts are not one of the 31 classes of High Risk Work that require a Worksafe High Risk Work licence.

So you don’t need a licence, but you must have proof of training or a competency based training qualification to operate a scissor lift.

What equipment do you need a licence to operate?

There are 29 classes of High Risk Work Licences.

For information on all 29 classes please click here.

When do you receive your certificate and / or proof of training card?

WAM Training provides both “Statement of Attainment” and “Proof of Training” cards with photograph to participants as they leave our premises on the last day of a training course.

For training conducted on your site (Refer to Training premises checklist in useful forms tab) both “Statement of Attainment” and “Proof of Training” cards with photograph to participants as soon as possible (No longer than 14 days) after completion of the last day of a training course.

High Risk Work Licences
All participants who successfully complete a High Risk Work Licence training course must personally lodge their application for a Licence to Perform High Risk Work within 60 days of the issue of the Notice of Assessment to Australia Post.  Once lodged with Australia Post your Licence to perform High Risk Work will be posted to you, generally within 14 days.

Where is WAM Training's Industrial Training Facility located?
Our Industrial training center is located at Factories 1, 2 & 3 / 73 Dohertys Rd, Laverton North. Map
(Behind Hungry Jays Café – Opposite Hume Rd)

What safety clothing should you bring to a WAM Training course?

Generally Hi visibility vest/clothing, hard hat and safety shoes. Refer to the course description for each course you are attending.

Got a question? Ask us on Facebook!