Install Trench Support
(2 day course)
RIICCM210D – Install trench support
WHO should complete Trenching training?
Anyone who operates a telescopic materials handler(Less than 3 Tonnes capacity), in a workplace.
WHY do you need Trenching training?
Section 21 of the OH&S Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
Safe Work Australia:
“Training specific to the excavation work and to the site should also be provided to workers by a competent person. Workers operating certain types of plant at the workplace must possess a valid licence to operate that plant. Workers in a supervisory role (for example leading hand or foreman) should be experienced and trained In excavation work to ensure the work is carried out in accordance with SWMS.”
Safe Work Australia - Excavation Work - Code of Practice 2013
WHAT is covered in Trenching training?
This course provides trainees with information, instruction and training about trenching hazards, risks and control measures. This will help you or your employees to understand:
- Planning and preparing to install trench support
- The trenching hazards to which they are exposed
- The risk of injury associated with the task
- Why control measures are needed and how
- Installing trench support
- Removing trench support
WHERE are the Trenching training courses conducted?
- All install trench support courses are conducted on your site. Please refer to on site training requirements below to ensure correct equipment is available for the purposes of quality training and assessment.
- Contact WAM Training if you’d like to schedule a course on your site
WHAT equipment needs to be supplied by the customer:
Customer to provide the following:
- Customer to provide trench shields, excavator, operator & chains on the 2nd day of the course.
- Shields must be of adequate size to allow safe entry and exit to and from the trench.
- Excavator and chains must be suitably compliant (chains to be within 1 year of test date).
- All site work permits and dial before you dig information must be available on both days of course.
- Access to various control measures (such as barriers or temporary fencing) to deal with all site hazards.
- $600.00 (GST Exempt) per person
(Minimum group size of 8 applies to this course.)
Book 4 or more courses to receive a 15% discount off all courses booked
WHEN are the Trenching courses conducted?
At a mutually agreeable date & time. Contact WAM Training to schedule a course on your site.
Duration & course times:
2 day course (07:45am - 16:00pm Approx.)
- Minimum 8
- Maximum 12
- As per site conditions and site rules
Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer written test, the development of a Safe Work Method Statement, and the installation and removal of a trench support system in a trench deeper than 1.5m
Upon successful completion, trainees will be able to plan and prepare to install and remove trench support.
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment and Proof of Training Card.
Language, Literacy & Numeracy:
Trainees need to be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills required to work by themselves and as part of a team with some accountability of their own work areas in defined and routine tasks. Trainees must be able to utilise workplace documentation using basic written English, with limited guidance
The training and assessment may involve bending, crawling, climbing and light to medium lifting. Please refer to ‘Student Health Form’ for further advice.
How Safe is Your Workplace?
Good interactive class.