Manual Handling Course
Employees who are exposed to manual handling hazards (which have not been eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level) should be provided with information, instruction or training on how to perform hazardous manual handling with the least risk. This course is designed to meet that requirement.
This course is only ever conducted for group bookings on employers’ sites.
- Recognising manual handling hazards in the workplace
- Implementing suitable control measures
- Completing Safe Work Method Statements involving manual handling tasks
Additional Entry Requirements:
- Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Applicants must satisfy the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements as outlined below
- Applicants who are currently employed or who have recent work experience are preferred but not mandatory
Why Complete this Manual Handling Course?
The Compliance Code for Hazardous Manual Handling (March 2018) states that the “Information, instruction and training needs to cover the nature of the hazardous manual handling, including the need for risk control measures and how to properly use them. For example, ensuring employees understand the hazards associated with hazardous manual handling, including how to follow safety procedures and use risk control measures implemented for their protection.”
Language, Literacy, and Numeracy Requirements
Trainees need to be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills required to work by themselves and as part of a team with some accountability of their own work areas in defined and routine tasks. Applicants must have sufficient reading, writing, verbal communication and numeracy skills in English to enable them to safely complete tasks relating to overhead crane operation. Refer to the descriptions below.
- Read and correctly interpret standard operating procedures
- Complete required documentation relevant to manual handling tasks, including completing risk assessments
- Calculate the weight of loads to be moved
- Speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- Explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
Verbal assessments may be conducted for the short-answer test, however Trainees will still need to demonstrate basic reading and writing skills such as updating risk assessment information and calculating load weights
Individuals who are concerned that they may not have adequate reading, writing, numeracy and/or verbal communication skills are advised to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.
What is the Manual Handling Course Outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment (Nationally Accredited) and Proof of Training Card.
Additional Course Information
How many trainees can attend the course?
- A maximum of 12 trainees are permitted (Please note that the sessional rate applies for 1-12 trainees)
What should trainees wear?
- Trainees are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in accordance with your policies and procedures applicable to overhead crane use
What should trainees bring?
- Trainees must bring a passport or an Australian driver’s licence
- Contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you do not have one of the forms of ID listed above
Do trainees need to study?
- Yes – All trainees will be forwarded the Course Handbook upon making a booking. WAM Training requires that all trainees study the Course Handbook prior to the commencement of face-to-face training
How is the assessment conducted?
- Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer test and a practical assessment involving manual handling
- Verbal assessments may be conducted for the short-answer test, however Trainees will still need to demonstrate basic reading and writing skills such as updating risk assessment information and calculating load weights (please refer to the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements outlined above)
- WAM Training endeavours to conduct verbal assessments during standard course hours, but as verbal assessments must be conducted one-on-one, there is a possibility that verbal assessments may need to be postponed to a mutually agreeable date and time
Please don’t hesitate to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you have any other questions.
- “Gives all staff a great understanding of manual handling obligations” – Darren G, 22.11.18
- “Clear and easy to understand. Made common sense out of safety procedures.” – Mick S, 22.11.18
- “Paul made what could have been a very boring course really interesting. Thanks Paul, good work.” – Anonymous, 22.11.18
- “Paul presented the information well and involved students in discussion.” – Aaron H, 27.06.17