Vehicle Loading Crane Course
1 Day – 7:45am to 4:00pm
$2000 (GST Exempt) for up to 6 attendees
This course is only ever conducted for group bookings on employers’ sites.
Want this course on your site?
Want this info emailed to you?
- Planning work and keeping safe
- Vehicle loading crane safety checks
- Safe use of vehicle loading cranes
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Experience working around machinery is preferred
Why complete this Vehicle Loading Crane Course?
Section 21 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
Note that WorkSafe Victoria requires that operators of vehicle loading cranes with a capacity greater than 10 metre tonnes (The metre tonnage of a crane can be found by multiplying the crane radius by the lifting capacity) hold a valid Licence to Perform High Risk Work (CV Class). This course does not satisfy this requirement.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Requirements
For the Vehicle Loading Crane Course, trainees must have adequate English language skills to safely complete tasks relating to working with vehicle loading cranes, such as being able to:
- Read and correctly interpret safe work method statements, vehicle loading crane specifications and load charts
- Complete required documentation relevant to vehicle loading crane operation, including completing risk assessments and vehicle loading crane logbook entries
- Ensure that the safe working load of the vehicle loading crane isn’t exceeded
- Speak English clearly in order to explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
If a trainee is concerned that they may not have the capabilities described above, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 for advice.
What is the Vehicle Loading Crane Course outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment and Proof of Training Card.
Additional Vehicle Loading Crane Course Information
- A maximum of 6 trainees can attend this course
- Trainees are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in accordance with your policies and procedures applicable to overhead crane use
- For identification, trainees should bring a driver’s licence or passport
- Trainees are expected to have read the Vehicle Loading Crane Course Handbook prior to attendance which will be provided upon making a booking
What does the Vehicle Loading Crane Course assessment involve?
- Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer test and a practical assessment involving the operation of vehicle loading cranes
- Verbal assessments will not be conducted for this course (please refer to the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements outlined above)
Is a Dogging Licence also required?
Part 3.6 and Schedule 3 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 (Vic.) outline the requirement to hold a High Risk Work Licence if conducting dogging work, which is defined as one or both of the following:
- The application of slinging techniques, including the selection or inspection of lifting gear, to sling a load
- The directing of a crane or hoist operator in the movement of a load when the load is out of the operator’s view
Further, slinging techniques are defined as: “those slinging techniques that require the exercise of judgment in relation to the suitability and condition of lifting gear, and the method of slinging, by consideration of the nature of the load, its mass and its centre of gravity”.
If you have any questions about our Vehicle Loading Crane Course, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.