Trench Support Course
This course is suitable for anyone who installs trenching support at a worksite and is only ever conducted for group bookings on employers’ sites.
Subjects covered in this course:
- Planning and preparing to install trench support
- Trenching hazards
- The risk of injury
- Why control measures are needed
- Installing trench support
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Experience working around excavations is preferred
Why complete this Install Trench Support Training Course?
Section 21 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
According to WorkSafe Victoria’s Compliance Code – Excavation (May 2018), “Information, instruction and training needs to cover the nature of hazards associated with excavation work, including the need for risk control measures and how to properly use them. For example, ensure employees understand:
- the nature of the hazards associated with the excavation work
- the need for and proper use of measures to control risk
- the selection, use, fit, testing and storage of any personal protective equipment (PPE)
- the content of any relevant SWMS and health and safety coordination plan”
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Requirements
For the Install Trench Support Training Course, trainees must have adequate English language skills to safely complete tasks relating to trenching, such as being able to:
- Read and correctly interpret Safe Work Method Statements, operating procedures and earthmoving equipment specifications
- Complete required documentation relevant to the use of trench support devices, including completing risk assessments
- Ensure that the safe working load of the trench support devices and earthmoving equipment aren’t exceeded
- Speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- Explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
- Verbal assessments will not be conducted for this course
If a trainee is concerned that they may not have the capabilities described above, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 for advice.
What is the Install Trench Support Training Course outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment and Proof of Training Card.
Additional Install Trench Support Training Course Information
- A maximum of 12 trainees can attend this course
- Trainees are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in accordance with your policies and procedures applicable to excavation work
- For identification, trainees should bring a driver’s licence or passport
- Trainees are expected to have read the Course Handbook prior to attendance which will be provided upon making a booking
What does the Install Trench Support Training Course assessment involve?
- Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer test, the development and implementation of a Safe Work Method Statement and a practical assessment involving the installation and removal of a trench support device (including entering the trench)
- Verbal assessments will not be conducted for this course (please refer to the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements outlined above)
Where is the Install Trench Support Training Course conducted?
- This course is conducted on your site
What equipment needs to be supplied?
- The customer is required to supply trench shields, excavator, operator and chains on the second day of the course
- Shields must be of adequate size to allow safe entry and exit to and from the trench)
- Excavator and chains must be suitably compliant (excavator to have load chart, chains to be within 1 year of test date)
- All site work permits and dial before you dig information must be available on both days of course
- Access to various control measures (such as barriers or temporary fencing) to deal with all site hazards