Telehandler Training Course
1 Day – 7:45am to 4:00pm
$400 (GST Exempt)
This Telehandler Training Course is suitable for individuals who need to operate a telescopic materials handler with a capacity of 3 tonnes or less in a workplace.
For a short time only, businesses which book four or more staff into the same course commencing on the same day will get 20% off their booking.
Click below to SEE COURSE DATES and MAKE A BOOKING
- Hazards and control measures
- Telehandler safety checks
- Operating techniques
- Telehandler attachments
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Experience working around machinery is preferred
Why complete this Telehandler Training Course?
Section 21 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
WorkSafe Victoria states in guidance note Telehandlers – Design and Licensing (June 2017), “Telehandler operators with a capacity of three tonne or less do not require a licence, but should be competent in their use and have training in relation to the machine and attachment being used.”
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Requirements
For the Telehandler Training Course, trainees must have adequate English language skills to safely complete tasks relating to working with telehandlers, such as being able to:
- Read and correctly interpret safe work method statements, telehandler specifications and load charts
- Complete required documentation relevant to telehandler operation, including completing risk assessments and telehandler logbook entries
- Ensure that the safe working load of the telehandler isn’t exceeded
- Speak English clearly in order to explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
If a trainee is concerned that they may not have the capabilities described above, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 for advice.
What is the Telehandler Training Course outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment and Proof of Training Card.
Additional Telehandler Training Course Information
- A maximum of 6 trainees can attend this course
- Trainees should wear safety shoes (and hi-vis clothing if they can)
- For identification, trainees should bring a driver’s licence or passport
- Trainees are expected to have read the Telehandler Training Course Handbook prior to attendance which will be provided upon making a booking
What does the Telehandler Training Course assessment involve?
- Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer test and a practical assessment involving the operation of a telehandler to shift loads
- Verbal assessments will not be conducted for this course (please refer to the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements outlined above)
Is a Non-Slewing Mobile Crane Licence also required?
WorkSafe Victoria states in the guidance note titled Telehandlers – Design and Licensing (June 2017), “A mobile crane licence (with the minimum being a non-slewing CN licence) is required if the telehandler has a capacity greater than three tonne…”
Is a Dogging Licence also required?
Part 3.6 and Schedule 3 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 (Vic.) outline the requirement to hold a High Risk Work Licence if conducting dogging work, which is defined as one or both of the following:
- The application of slinging techniques, including the selection or inspection of lifting gear, to sling a load
- The directing of a crane or hoist operator in the movement of a load when the load is out of the operator’s view
Further, slinging techniques are defined as: “those slinging techniques that require the exercise of judgment in relation to the suitability and condition of lifting gear, and the method of slinging, by consideration of the nature of the load, its mass and its centre of gravity”.
If you have any questions about our Telehandler Training Course, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.
What is the course outcome?
- Statement of Attainment
- Proof of Training Card printed by WAM Training
Does this course cover telehandlers with a lifting capacity of over 3 tonnes?
No, our course is appropriate for telehandlers with a lifting capacity of up to (and including) 3 tonnes.
What type of training is needed for telehandlers with a lifting capacity over 3 tonnes?
A Licence to Perform High Risk Work (Class CN) licence is required. We’re not offering this course.
What attachments are covered?
If you complete the course at our site, we cover forks and a jib (and we provide a proof-of-training card for those attachments. If the course is to be conducted on your site, we’ll need you to let us know what attachments you have so that we can be prepared.