Manual Handling Course
Employees who are exposed to manual handling hazards (which have not been eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level) should be provided with information, instruction or training on how to perform hazardous manual handling with the least risk. This course is designed to meet that requirement.
This course is only ever conducted for group bookings on employers’ sites.
Subjects covered in this course:
- Recognising manual handling hazards
- Implementing control measures
- Safe Work Method Statements
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Applicants who are currently employed or who have recent work experience are preferred but not mandatory
Why complete this Manual Handling Course?
Section 21 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
The Compliance Code for Hazardous Manual Handling (December 2019) states that the “Information, instruction and training needs to cover the nature of the hazardous manual handling, including the need for risk control measures and how to properly use them. For example, ensuring employees understand the hazards associated with hazardous manual handling, including how to follow safety procedures and use risk control measures implemented for their protection.”
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Requirements
For the Manual Handling Course, trainees must have adequate English language skills to safely complete tasks relating to manual handling, such as being able to:
- Read and correctly interpret standard operating procedures
- Complete paperwork such as Safe Work Method Statements
- Calculate the weights of loads to be moved
- Speak English clearly in order to explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
If a trainee is concerned that they may not have the capabilities described above, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 for advice.
What is the Manual Handling Course outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will receive a Statement of Attainment and Proof of Training Card.
Additional Manual Handling Course Information
- A maximum of 12 trainees can attend this course
- Trainees are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in accordance with your policies and procedures applicable to manual handling
- For identification, trainees should bring a driver’s licence or passport
- Trainees are expected to have read the Course Handbook prior to attendance which will be provided upon making a booking
What does the Manual Handling Course assessment involve?
- Trainees will be assessed using a short-answer written test and a practical assessment involving manual handling
- Verbal assessments may be conducted for the short-answer test, however Trainees will still need to demonstrate basic reading and writing skills such as updating risk assessment information and calculating load weights (please refer to the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements outlined above)
If you have any questions about our Manual Handling Course, please contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.