Forklift Licence Course
$600 (GST Exempt)
This Forklift Licence Course is suitable for anyone who needs to attain a Forklift High Risk Work Licence.
Wed 20/11 to Thu 21/11 (4 Places Left)
Mon 02/12 to Tue 03/12 (2 Places Left)
Tue 11/12 to Thu 12/12 (4 Places Left)
Tue 17/12 to Wed 18/12 (5 Places Left)
Mon 23/12 to Tue 24/12
Mon 06/01 to Tue 07/01
Wed 15/01 to Thu 16/01
Mon 20/01 to Tue 21/01
Tue 28/01 to Wed 29/01
Thu 06/02 to Fri 07/02
- Planning forklift-related work
- General forklift safety principles
- Conducting routine checks on forklifts
- Shifting loads using forklifts
- Shutting down and securing forklifts
Additional Entry Requirements:
- Applicants must reside in Victoria
- Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Applicants must satisfy the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements as outlined below
- Experience working around plant/machinery is preferred but not mandatory
- Registration closes at 4:00pm Friday the week prior to courses which commence on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and at 4:00pm Monday for courses which commence on a Thursday
- No substituting of attendees is permitted after the above registration close times
- No refunds will be given in cases where a company sends a substitute attendee after the registration close times have ended
- Only Residents of Victoria will be assessed as required by WorkSafe Victoria
- The rules outlined above are to ensure WAM Training’s ongoing compliance with the conditions imposed by WorkSafe Victoria
Why Complete this Forklift Licence Course?
Section 21 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.) requires that employers provide an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to employees to enable them to work safely.
Part 3.6 and Schedule 3 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 (Vic.) outline the requirement to hold a High Risk Work Licence if operating forklifts.
Language, Literacy, and Numeracy Requirements
In order to enrol into a Forklift Licence Course, Trainees need to be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills required to work by themselves and as part of a team with some accountability of their own work areas in defined and routine tasks. Applicants must have sufficient reading, writing, verbal communication and numeracy skills in English to enable them to safely complete tasks relating to forklift operation. Refer to the descriptions below.
- Read and correctly interpret safe work method statements, forklift specifications and data plates
- Complete required documentation relevant to forklift operation, including completing risk assessments and logbook entries
- Calculate load weights
- Ensure safe working loads of forklifts aren’t exceeded
- Speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- Explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
WorkSafe Victoria allows the 58 question short-answer test to be answered verbally – but please note that the 8 question maths test must be completed in writing (refer to the ‘Additional Course Information’ section below)
Individuals who are concerned that they may not have adequate reading, writing, numeracy and/or verbal communication skills are advised to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.
What is the Forklift Licence Course Outcome?
Once competence is achieved, trainees will be issued with:
- A Notice of Assessment which may then be used to apply for a Licence to Perform High Risk Work – Class LF
- A temporary licence which may be used to operate forklifts whilst WorkSafe Victoria produces the High Risk Work Licence (valid for 60 days)
- A Statement of Attainment (Nationally Accredited)
Additional Course Information
How many trainees can attend the course?
- A maximum of 6 trainees are permitted
What should trainees wear?
- Trainees are required to wear safety shoes and hi-visibility clothing (WAM Training can provide a hi-visibility safety vest if required)
Do trainees need to study?
- Yes – All trainees will be forwarded the Course Handbook upon making a booking. WAM Training requires that all trainees study the Course Handbook prior to the commencement of face-to-face training
- In addition to studying the Course Handbook, WAM Training will provide a Pre-Course Worksheet which must be completed prior to the commencement of face-to-face training
What should trainees bring?
- Completed Pre-Course Worksheet
- Trainees must bring a passport or an Australian driver’s licence
- Contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you do not have one of the forms of ID listed above
How is the assessment conducted?
Trainees need to demonstrate their readiness for formal assessment by successfully completing three worksheets (one of which is provided as a Pre-Course Worksheet). After the worksheets are completed, Trainees will then be formally assessed according to the assessment instrument approved WorkSafe Victoria, which includes:
- 58 short answer questions
- 8 maths questions involving calculating load weights and comparing to a forklift data plate
- Practical demonstration of hazard identification and risk control, pre-operational safety checks, start up safety checks, operation of a forklift to shift loads, and the shutting down and securing of a forklift
The assessments are closed-book and no notes are permitted to be used. In the event that a Trainee is unable to complete the worksheets, they will not be assessed using the formal assessment instruments. In such cases, additional one-on-one training may be required and can be provided as per the rates listed below.
Can the assessment be conducted verbally?
- WorkSafe Victoria allows the short-answer questions to be answered verbally
- WAM Training endeavours to conduct verbal assessments during standard course hours, but as verbal assessments must be conducted one-on-one, there is a possibility that verbal assessments may need to be postponed to a mutually agreeable date and time
Are there any additional fees?
- After successful completion, trainees are required to lodge their Application for High Risk Work Licence at Australia Post and pay a lodgement fee of $65.00 (GST Exempt).
What if I need retraining and/or reassessment?
In the event that reassessment is required, the following rates apply:
- Knowledge Reassessment – $100
- Assignment Reassessment – $75
- Practical Reassessment – $150
- Practical Training – $150 per hour if required
Please don’t hesitate to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you have any other questions.
- “Paul’s understanding of not only this course but the industry as a whole was a highlight as I became far more aware of safety beyond just forklifts.” – Anonymous, 04.12.18
- “Excellent to have sufficient time on the forklift, getting familiar with the equipment and what is expected of our ability. Learning resources (especially the pre-course material) was excellent. Facility is first class.” – Adam M, 20.11.18
- “Excellent course. Left the course feeling confident in what I have learnt, had confidence in using machinery that I have not used previously.” – Nathan, 29.08.18
- “I’ve just completed a forklift course with Stan. Until yesterday, I couldn’t picture myself on a fork. Today, I am comfortable moving pallets to and from racking.” – Anonymous, 28.09.17
- “Outstanding and enjoyable. Course was delivered in a relaxed, engaging and challenging manner. Trainer has extensive knowledge and provided complete and enjoyable learning environment.” – Cameron E, 22.09.17
- “Excellent facilitator. Very engaging and has a wealth of knowledge and experience.” – Anonymous, 20.09.17