Boomlift Licence Course
$650 (GST Exempt)
Tue 19/11 to Wed 20/11 (4 Places Left)
Thu 21/11 to Fri 22/11 (2 Places Left)
Thu 05/12 to Fri 06/12
Mon 09/12 to Tue 10/12 (2 Places Left)
Thu 19/12 to Fri 20/12
Wed 08/01 to Thu 09/01
Mon 13/01 to Tue 14/01
Wed 22/01 to Thu 23/01
Wed 29/01 to Thu 30/01
Mon 03/02 to Tue 04/02
- Planning boomlift-related work
- General boomlift safety principles
- Conducting routine checks on boomlifts and harnesses
- Accessing work areas using boomlifts
- Shutting down and securing boomlifts
Additional Entry Requirements:
- Applicants must reside in Victoria
- Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Applicants must satisfy the Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements as outlined below
- Experience working around plant/machinery is preferred but not mandatory
- Registration closes at 4:00pm Friday the week prior to courses which commence on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and at 4:00pm Monday for courses which commence on a Thursday
- No substituting of attendees is permitted after the above registration close times
- No refunds will be given in cases where a company sends a substitute attendee after the registration close times have ended
- Only Residents of Victoria will be assessed as required by WorkSafe Victoria
- The rules outlined above are to ensure WAM Training’s ongoing compliance with the conditions imposed by WorkSafe Victoria
Why Complete this Boomlift Licence Course?
Part 3.6 and Schedule 3 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 (Vic.) outline the requirement to hold a High Risk Work Licence if operating boomlifts with a capacity of greater than 11 metres.
Language, Literacy, and Numeracy Requirements
- Read and correctly interpret safe work method statements, boomlift specifications and compliance plates
- Complete required documentation relevant to boomlift operation, including completing risk assessments and logbook entries
- Add the total weight of people, tools and materials required to be lifted in EWP baskets
- Ensure that the safe working loads of EWP baskets aren’t exceeded
- Speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- Explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
WorkSafe Victoria allows the 68 question short-answer test to be answered verbally – but please note that the 2 question maths test must be completed in writing (refer to the ‘Additional Course Information’ section below)
Individuals who are concerned that they may not have adequate reading, writing, numeracy and/or verbal communication skills are advised to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343.
What is the Boomlift Licence Course Outcome?
- A Notice of Assessment which may then be used to apply for a Licence to Perform High Risk Work – Class WP
- A temporary licence which may be used to operate boomlifts whilst WorkSafe Victoria produces the High Risk Work Licence (valid for 60 days)
- A Statement of Attainment (Nationally Accredited)
Additional Course Information
How many trainees can attend the course?
- A maximum of 6 trainees are permitted
What should trainees wear?
- Trainees are required to wear safety shoes and hi-visibility clothing (WAM Training can provide a hi-visibility safety vest if required)
Do trainees need to study?
- Yes – All trainees will be forwarded the Course Handbook upon making a booking. WAM Training requires that all trainees study the Course Handbook prior to the commencement of face-to-face training
- In addition to studying the Course Handbook, WAM Training will provide a Pre-Course Worksheet which must be completed prior to the commencement of face-to-face training
What should trainees bring?
- Completed Pre-Course Worksheet
- Trainees must bring a passport or an Australian driver’s licence
- Contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you do not have one of the forms of ID listed above
How is the assessment conducted?
Trainees need to demonstrate their readiness for formal assessment by successfully completing three worksheets (one of which is provided as a Pre-Course Worksheet). Trainees will then be formally assessed according to the assessment instrument approved WorkSafe Victoria, which includes:
- 68 short answer questions
- 2 maths questions involving calculating load weights and comparing to a boomlift compliance plate
- Practical demonstration of the hazard identification and risk controls, pre-start inspections (use of a safety harness), start-up checks, operating the boomlift, and shutting down and securing the boomlift
The assessments are closed-book and no notes are permitted to be used. In the event that a Trainee is unable to complete the worksheets, they will not be assessed using the formal assessment instruments. In such cases, additional one-on-one training may be required and can be provided as per the rates listed below.
Can the assessment be conducted verbally?
- WorkSafe Victoria allows the short-answer questions to be answered verbally
- WAM Training endeavours to conduct verbal assessments during standard course hours, but as verbal assessments must be conducted one-on-one, there is a possibility that verbal assessments may need to be postponed to a mutually agreeable date and time
Are there any additional fees?
- After successful completion, trainees are required to lodge their Application for High Risk Work Licence at Australia Post and pay a lodgement fee of $65.00 (GST Exempt).
What if I need retraining and/or reassessment?
In the event that reassessment is required, the following rates apply:
- Knowledge Reassessment – $100
- Assignment Reassessment – $75
- Practical Reassessment – $150
- Practical Training – $150 per hour if required
Please don’t hesitate to contact WAM Training on 1800 143 343 if you have any other questions.
Boomlift Licence Course Photos
- “Great training, laid out in a practical and easy to understand format.” – Connor M, 15.01.19
- “Was a well run course, Stan was awesome and made me feel very comfortable.” – Matt R, 15.01.19
- “Trainer has a great understanding and is approachable. Translates information very well. Easy to approach if you need information.” – Anonymous, 15.01.19
- “Paul was clear, precise and approachable. Solid understanding of subject matter and had no problem answering any questions.” – James J, 27.11.18
- “The course was a great learning experience. I thoroughly enjoyed operating the EWP. Steve is a wonderful person and teacher.” – Kerrie G, 09.11.18
- “Steve made me feel so much more confidant in operating the EWP and more confidant in completing my written assessment. Thank you Steve, you’re a great trainer!” – Milan B, 09.11.18
- “Great trainer, passionate about what he teaches, easy to get along with and great sense of humour.” – Tim F, 16.05.17
- “I found the trainer’s knowledge on all subject matter relating to the course to be of an extremely high standard, as well as his ability to deliver this knowledge to me.” – Stephen N, 02.03.17
- “Very well delivered, easy to understand. Trainer was very good at explaining details and had a great knowledge of the product.” – Jarrod S, 02.03.17