Verification of Competency (VOC) training
WHO should complete Verification of Competency training?
Verification of Competency (VOC) is a method of assessment that assists employers in verifying / confirming the competency levels of employees and contractors who will be required to operate plant and equipment in their workplace. VOC’s also serve the purpose of ensuring the practical skills and knowledge of staff and contractors are not only current, but also ensure that the original decision of competence was valid and reliable.
Verification of Competency training requirements are site and or company driven. Essentially if a work-site requests you to hold a current VOC for plant operation, you need to comply, in order to work on that site or for that company.
WHY do you need Verification of Competency training?
Under Australian OH&S and WHS laws employers are legally required to ensure that they provide employees with sufficient information, training and instruction to perform their work safely.
Whilst an employee or contractor have the authority to operate plant and equipment by possessing the required licence or proof of training, ongoing competence of plant and equipment operators is the responsibility of the employer.
WHAT is covered in Verification of Competency training?
For many in our industry VOC’s are new and subject to interpretation, WAM Training has worked with industry leading clients to develop a formal assessment process which is flexible, minimises downtime and can be performed on-site.
With the help of our large industrial and construction clients WAM Training has developed a suite of VOC’s or WAM Training can tailor VOC’s to your site specific needs and your company specific policies and procedures. The choice is yours.
WHERE are the Verification of Competency training courses conducted?
- On your site with your equipment. Contact WAM Training if you’d like to schedule a course on your site
- WAM Training Industrial Training Facility: Factories 1-3, 73 Dohertys Rd, Laverton North
- Attendees must bring a Driver’s Licence or equivalent photo identification to each VOC training session
- Attendees must bring any relevant High Risk Work Licence or Proof of Competency relevant to the VOC class being verified
- Provide access to plant/scaffold must be available for all VOC training conducted at a customer’s site
- Provide access to a suitable equipped training room must be available for the completion of a VOC training session conducted on a customer’s site
- SWMS, permits and plant inductions must be completed prior to the beginning of a VOC
- Upon successful completion, WAM Training will issue a VOC Card, which will contain the name, date of birth and classes of VOC’s completed. This will be posted within 5 business days (a scanned copy can be forwarded earlier)
How Safe is Your Workplace?
WAM Training charges per VOC and our pricing structure is based on the number of VOC’s being conducted in a session. The VOC’s may be all for the same person for different classes, or for different people for the same class.
VOC’s Conducted at WAM Training Industrial Training Center
- Cost per VOC is $250.00 (+GST)
- Minimum group size of 4 applies
VOC’s Conducted on your site
- Cost per VOC is $250.00 (+GST)
- Minimum group size of 8 applies*
*Accommodation and travel charges apply for VOC’s conducted beyond 100 kilometers from Melbourne GPO.
VOC Training classes
|COMPETENCY TICKET CLASSES:|
|Boom lift <11m (BL)|
|Scissor Lift (SL)|
|Vehicle Loading Crane <10m/t (VLC)**Conducted on your site only|
|Telehandler <3t (TH)|
|HIGH RISK LICENCE CLASSES:|
Basic Rigging (RB)**Conducted on your site only
|Boom-Type EWP >11m (WP)|
Intermediate Rigging (RI)**Conducted on your site only
|Forklift (LF)||Vehicle Loading Crane >10m/t (CV)**Conducted on your site only|
|Non-Slewing Mobile Crane (CN)||Slewing Mobile Crane up to 20t (C2)**Conducted on your site only|
|Slewing Mobile Crane up to 60t (C6)**Conducted on your site only|
|Slewing Mobile Crane up to 100t (C1)**Conducted on your site only|
|Slewing Mobile Crane >100t (C0)**Conducted on your site only|
WHEN are the Verification of Competency training courses conducted?
At a mutually agreeable date & time. Contact WAM Training to schedule a course on your site.
Duration & course times:
Each class of VOC will take approximately 2 hours to complete. VOC’s are generally conducted without any training or preparation as it is considered that current licenced or ticketed employees and contractors have the required knowledge and skill to complete the VOC process. Re-training can easily be arranged if any skill or knowledge gaps are identified.
- Maximum 10
- Steel capped safety shoes, hard hat and hi-visibility clothing are required
The trainees will be assessed according using a short-answer theory test, and a practical assessment.
Upon successful completion, trainees will receive a Verification of Competency proof of training card.
Language, Literacy & Numeracy:
Trainees need to be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and numeracy required to achieve the original competency or high risk work licence being refreshed. All assessments must be conducted in English – engaging an interpreter is not allowed.
The training and assessment will involve working with heavy machinery, bending, crawling, and light to medium lifting. Please refer to ‘Student Health Form’ for further advice.